Last updated 4 November 1998.
William Stroudley's 0-4-2, No.214, Gladstone was the prototype of the B1 class and was a development of the Richmond class. It left Brighton Erecting Shops at the end of December 1882 in the hands of driver William Love. After successfully completing trials over the next few months, the rest of the original order of six engines was completed. The final class consisted of 36 engines which managed the LB&SCR's express traffic for many years.
Gladstone was one of only a few locomotives to retain its name when repainted by Marsh in his Umber livery. By the Grouping in 1923 it had covered 1,258,642 miles
When it was withdrawn for preservation in April 1927 it had covered 1,346,918 miles. Resplendent in its restored Stroudley livery it now resides in the National Railway Museum in York.
Stroudley designed 0-4-2 "Gladstone" class No.214 Gladstone in the National Railway Museum.